Musket Powder Gold Label,as needed
2 tbsp Lard
4 lbs Pork Shoulder
3 Garlic Cloves,minced
1 Onion,small dice
1/2 cup Milk
1 quart Stock
1 tsp Mexican Oregano
5 sprigs of Thyme
Zest of 1 Orange
Salt & Pepper,to taste
- Arrange the pork shoulder on a sheet tray. Wearing food-safe gloves, completely cover the pork in Musket Powder Gold Label seasoning.
- Heat lard in a large, deep cast iron skillet on medium high. Sear both sides of the pork shoulder until a crust has formed, remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Mise out the remaining ingredients. In a skillet or saute pan on medium high, heat a neutral oil and saute onions for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, thyme, and orange zest to the pan and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with a little bit of water, scraping the bottom of the pan to pick up all the fond (that’s where all the flavor is!).
- In a large, deep cast iron skillet, add the pork shoulder and the onion, garlic and herb mixture. Cover pork completely with milk and stock, and add another tablespoon of Musket Powder Gold Label seasoning.
- Add a lid to the skillet and bring it to a light simmer for 2 hours, or until pork is easily pulled apart.
- Remove the lid and let the pork rest in the juice for an hour before removing the pork and shredding by hand. We recommend wearing food-safe gloves for this step, as the meat will most likely be quite hot!
- Plate the shredded pork and enjoy! We like to add lime wedges, raw onion and cilantro for an extra kick.